IBio has been WSU’s priority one project submitted for Capital Outlay consideration since FY 2009, as a new research facility is critical to enabling WSU to participate in the National Institutes of Health (NIH) Clinical Translational Science Award (CTSA) funding and initiatives. WSU requested $90 million in Capital Outlay funding to partially cover its portion of the costs of the IBio project, and in December, 2010, was conditionally awarded $30 million by the State of Michigan and was authorized to proceed with final programming and schematic design in accordance with State project development guidelines.
The project scope includes plans to renovate and re-purpose approximately 127,700 gross square feet of existing space in the former 1927’ Dalgleish Cadillac dealership building designed by famed architect Albert Kahn, and construct an additional 78,000 gross square feet of new companion building fronting Woodward Avenue. The project represents an innovative opportunity to redevelop an entire 2.75 acre city block that is currently vacant real estate, further contributing to the economic revitalization of the immediate neighborhood and Mid-town Detroit. In addition, there is sufficient adjoining space in this block (which is located in TechTown, WSU’s Research and Technology Park, and just 2 blocks from Henry Ford Health System’s corporate headquarters).